What is Onyx?
Onyx is a category of stone that belongs to the variety of silicate mineral chalcedony. It ranges from black to red and green but is primarily found to be black. It has spiritual qualities, but apart from this, doubles up beautifully as jewelry. It has a rating of 6.5 to 7 on the Mohs scale, and so it does well as carved gemstones and beads.
What is Black Onyx?
Black Onyx is the variety of Onyx that is Black with white bands encircling the lustrous stone. In spirituality it is known to instill strength, courage and stamina. In ancient periods certain cultures used to wear it to gain success in battle. Its birth month is December.
In what colors are Onyx available?
Onyx has a variety of layered chalcedony, and it exists with parallel bands that differentiate it from its counterparts. The bands may form in any colors with one of the more popular being black. In some cases, the bands are more visible, so it has a sort of Halloween candy peppermint effect. While some are so faint, the stone overall just has a black sheen. You can get loose Black Onyx Gemstone for sale easily online and in stores.
What should you know about Black Onyx?
- Black Onyx is Black with white bands encircling the lustrous stone.
- Has a rating of 6.5 to 7 on the Mohs scale, and so it does well as carved gemstones and beads.
- In spirituality it is known to instill strength, courage and stamina. In ancient periods certain cultures used to wear it to gain success in battle.
- Can be used with prong setting, bezel, collet and wire wrapping. Can be carved easily and into figures and drilled for beads.
- Is non-durable, and needs to be taken care of.
- More expensive than other varieties of Onyx. You can buy Black Onyx wholesale online if you wish to design with it, which is cheaper than buying singles.
- Can suppress stress and grief.
How can you style Black Onyx?
If you are wearing them for spiritual reason-
- Wire wrapped pendant or pendulum with silver wire.
- Many prefer to also wear black onyx cabochons as rings on the little finger of the left hand, because that method is said to enhance its properties.
- You can charge the energy by leaving it in the sunlight for a couple of hours.
For fashion styling-
- Black Onyx Rosary Chains make excellent necklaces that are dainty and can be worn in layers for casual and special occasions. If you look for something more subtle, a simple pendant at the end of a long chain should suffice. The preferred metal is silver.
- Black onyx is also a preferable jewellery choice for men, because they prefer the black sheen over other popular diamonds and gemstones.
- Since it ranges from 6.5 to 7 on the Mohs scale, Onyx can be considered amongst the category of gemstones that can be carved. That's why they are easily carved into pendulums, and other standard cuts for healing crystals.
- However this also leaves them susceptible to damage, and hence should be well maintained.
- They can be drilled, worn as beads.
- They can be sliced or cut and added to precious metal connectors. Onyx embedded into rosary chains and used as chokers are a great style statement.
- Raw material Black onyx rosary chains wholesale are available on many diamond and gemstone sites. Make sure you get a certificate of authenticity.
Where can I buy Black Onyx?
You can buy Black Onyx for sale online or there is black onyx wholesale as well on many diamond and gemstone websites. Some of them even take custom orders and off samples of other stones as well. Please ensure they send you certificates of authenticity, because this is crucial in case of resale.
Put the stone to the test to determine if it's real. Use a lighter to light the stone for a couple of seconds before dropping it in water. If it's a real onyx, the stone will remain intact, but if it's fake it will melt like the wicked witch of the west
Log onto our site to discover a vast range of fine quality diamonds and gemstones. We offer wholesale as well as custom orders, so feel free to contact us anytime!